Thursday, September 30, 2021

1 of 33

I had my first radiation treatment today.

As they instructed me at my "sim" appointment, I checked in at the front desk, where the nice lady sent me to the radiation waiting room.

When I saw my first initial and last name on the board, I walked out of the waiting room, took a right, took another right, took a left and went down the hall where the "green machine" is. The actual machine isn't green. The tag outside the door is green.

There was a guy in the hallway with a nametag on his shirt. So I asked, "Are the green dressing rooms in the treatment room or farther down the hall?"

"They're farther down the hall, right there," he said and pointed to the door of the first dressing room.

I thanked him, went in and put on my hospital gown.

Then I sat on the bench and waited.

Well, I scrolled through an Instagram account called "pastagrannies" where older ladies make homemade pasta. Don't judge. Everybody has something that helps them relax!

A tech came to the door and knocked. I said come in, and she opened the door like she had no idea who I was.

She asked my name, and I told her. Then she asked, "Did anyone walk you back here?"

"No," I said. "Were they supposed to?"

"Well," she said, "for the first appointment, somebody usually meets you at the waiting room to walk you back."

"They went through all the instructions at my sim appointment, so I just did what they said," I told her. "Am I in the right place?"

"Yeah, but nobody ever remembers what we tell them at their sim appointment," she said. "I'm just surprised that you back here and ready to go."

I kinda laughed, but then when we walked into the treatment room, she proceeded to tell the two techs in there about how I came back there on my own and was just waiting in the dressing room.

What can I say, I'm good at following instructions.

For the treatment, I just laid on the mold they made last week, listened to the music and waited for the machine to quit circling me.

So I guess I'll go back again tomorrow.

Then I'll take two days off.

Then I'll go back Monday ... and Tuesday ... and Wednesday ... you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday party

I love doing birthday parties for my son. I know plenty of moms who search out places where they can pay people to set up the party — trampo...