Monday, November 1, 2021

Sunburn without the beach

Let me tell you, radiation burns are no fun at all. I might have mentioned this a time or two (or a thousand!)

The treatments themselves are nothing. I don't feel a thing. I just lie there on the table and wait. I'll walk through the treatments in one of these posts.

But today, let me give you a visual.



I assure you that my armpit is clean. Some skin turns pink like sunburn, and some just discolors and turns a dirty brown color. 

But it all hurts.

And now, I'm starting to have skin peeling, which leave raw, new skin open to straight radiation.

Not trying to gross anyone out, but this is what it is.

It's hard to find a comfortable sleeping position. It's also hard to figure out what to wear. 

The post-lumpectomy bras are still working well. I just put a folded T-shirt under my right breast.

As for shirts, the side seam and sleeve seem meet right under your arm, which is the most painful place for me right now. So I wear a folded T-shirt under there, too. When I walk, I keep my right arm bent at a 90-degree angle to keep my folded shirts in place.

The funny thing is, nobody is the wiser. You can't tell from the outside what's going on inside my shirt.

I'm over the hump with the radiation treatments, so I hope it won't get much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday party

I love doing birthday parties for my son. I know plenty of moms who search out places where they can pay people to set up the party — trampo...