Saturday, August 21, 2021

The surgery

Well, that part is done.

The surgery is over, and the surgeon said it went as well as it could've.

So ... whew!

I had to be at the hospital at noon Thursday. I walked into the admissions office, she asked my name, and away we went. I barely had time to hand my phone off to Jeff.

I donned the lovely gown and hairnet and then pulled on those sexy neon yellow non-slip socks.

One nurse came in to ask a thousand questions, then another one came in to start the IV. I didn't tell her that I'm hard to stick, and that they never get IVs on the first stick. I didn't want to jinx her. And dang if she didn't get it on the first try.

"You are my superhero!" I told her. "They NEVER get it with one stick."

I think I added work to her plate, though, because the other nurse said, "Well I know who I'm calling from now on when I have a hard time with an IV."


The anesthesiologist came in to do a nerve block under my arm. He signed my arm to let everyone know that he had been there and done his work.

Then the surgeon came in to offer his signature to where he was going to work. I probably shouldn't have said this ... or admit now that I did say it, but I couldn't help myself.

I looked at the surgeon and smiled and said, "You know, the last person to sign that boob was Eddie Van Halen, and your performance better be as good as his was."

The surgeon looked up at me and paused a few seconds and said, "I LOVE Van Halen!"

I was glad the he 1. saw the humor in what I said, 2. has a sense of humor and 3. loves the band I was crazy over for years.

All in all, it wasn't a hard day. Everyone was really responsive and nice. I was sent home with a compression wrap that looks more like a 1970s tube top. It is cute, though. It's light pink with bright pink and white flowers. So that's something.

I have good pain drugs, and my great friends and family have supplied all the food and supplies we could possibly need right now.

So it's going really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday party

I love doing birthday parties for my son. I know plenty of moms who search out places where they can pay people to set up the party — trampo...