Tuesday, August 10, 2021

It's all coming together

I got a call from the medication team yesterday. They needed to see what medications I’m on, to know the local pharmacy I use and to ask about allergies. I told the guy the medication, and he said, “That’s it?” like he was surprised. And I thought, “Dang, dude! I’m only 53!”

Then today, I got a call from a social worker. She was just checking in to make sure I have everything I need to start the process of de-cancer-izing myself.

She asked about my support team, which I am lucky enough to say is large. But I did confess that it’s hard to keep track of who I’ve told what. Her reply surprised me. She said very bluntly, “That’s stressful, and you need to not have stress,” and she suggested I use a blog to document “the journey.”

The social worker asked about how Griffin is handling everything and referred me to some places to get help for him if he needs it.

She asked about all the basics — do I have transportation to and from appointments, do I feel safe in my house, do I need financial help, etc. And again, luckily I was able to say, “I’m good.”

I’ve been so impressed with how everyone has communicated with everyone else throughout the process so far.

One of my friends told me about her sister-in-law who had breast cancer a long time ago. She had to make all her own appointments and figure out the steps for everything.

The medical community must’ve figured out how crazy and stressful that can get because I’ve been led through every step. I have three people I can call directly to ask questions instead of sitting on hold at the doctor’s office number. I was given a tote bag with a big binder of resources, support groups, procedure options and more, and a book about breast cancer.

I was frustrated when my surgery date was set three weeks away from the official diagnosis. But now, I realize that I have to do a lot in those three weeks. Namely, I had to meet my surgeon, my oncologist and her team and my radiology oncologist and his team. I have to have pre-surgery bloodwork and a COVID test.

The day before the surgery, I have to go have a radioactive seed inserted. This blows my mind, but they’ll insert the seed, and once they add a contrast before my surgery, the whole cancer area will turn a different color to help them identify it then cut it out.

So things are moving along smoothly, and I hope it continues that way.

I got a hot pink tote back with a ton of resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday party

I love doing birthday parties for my son. I know plenty of moms who search out places where they can pay people to set up the party — trampo...